Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Sorry about the lack of communication.

I picked up a virus on the flight from LA to London & got sick the day I left for TZ (June 8th) with a bronchial infection which began with the sore/dry throat the morning I left. No sleep on the 'plane, but I had the foresight to load up on Ricola's which helped.

Immigration in Dar was a nightmare filled out forms, passports were taken & thrown onto a pile, then handed back after being rubber stamped it took 1/2 hr, fast I suppose by their standards! Transport from The Golden Tulip Hotel which I booked on line was there, it took an hour to get there due to traffic congestion. Fumes belched out, hawkers in the road, a moped carrying 2 army guys one with an AK 47 welcome to TZ! I felt really ill by that time, thank god I had a handkerchief which I dabbed with eucalyptus part of my traveling arsenal in these parts!

It was nice from the outside, lovely location on a bluff overlooking the ocean. Filthy carpets inside, musty smelling too. I had a small ocean view from the balcony, there was an infinity swimming pool overlooking the ocean which I longed to use but couldn't. I ate lunch on a patio with a view of the ocean & the city of Dar in the background. I recognized Oyster Bay beach not far away, where used to take the kids when they were 2 & 4 yrs old. I also spotted Bagamoyo rd where we lived in '69 as we drove by in the taxi , so some nostalgia..

I took a nap intending to get up but didn't I felt too sick, it rained all afternoon, the hotel was practically deserted so nice & quiet. Didn't sleep well woke up every 2 hrs, then every hr coughing, but the bed was comfortable firm mattress & king size so I could thrash around!!. Got up at 4am to take the 7:30am flight to Tabora.

The Bishop & a small entourage greeted me there!! At my request I was taken to a clinic set up by the former Bishop Ntiruka & run by a German/Brit Dr Ruth whom I had met last time I was here. An African Dr. attended & spoke to Ruth over the 'phone, my blood pressure was very high & wheezing was heard in my lungs. Upshot was anti-biotics, codeine, cough syrup & 15 mins of breathing something from a vapourizer to clear the lungs. Anyway I got it managed before it got worse & turned into full blown bronchitis.

Back to the Tabora Orion hotel & bed at 2:30pm for the rest of the day/evening, no trouble falling asleep, even with the sound of turkeys gobbling in a field near my window! There are also grey parrots & other birds in a big cage chirping away! I'm still under the weather but hope to feel much better by the w/e.

Just got back from a road trip 8k to Kwihala Village, we picked up the survey team on the way they are searching for signs of water. I visited the location of catchment tank at the school, kids are all out for holidays. Needing bathroom is always a challenge for me due to massive water consumption & copious cups of tea! I used the school latrines just a shed with concrete floor & a small hole least it had a door! Africans go all day without drinking, in fact I noted that the surveyors didn't take any water with them, & they're there during the hottest time of day.

That's it for now, more later, going for a lunchtime cuppa instead of lunch another African tradition! I'll have some photos to send later.

No comments:

Post a Comment